Friday 27 April 2012

Apart from my own observations I think I may also publish some of the creative pieces written for the University classes. Anyway, why not? :)

In this case I have been given the first sentence, which was actually taken from some already existing literary work, and I was asked to go on with my own short story. Here you go, then. :)


The taxi driver seemed embarrassed to find there was no one – not even a clerk behind the reception desk – waiting to welcome me. That might have seemed strange to an outsider to observe, since I did not care about it very much; moreover, I was already used to the fact that people around thought of me much better that I did of myself. I remembered my wife saying, „I wonder how you manage to keep that image of yourself, which is for no reason admired by the whole world? Especially, when you are such an asshole indeed..” My dear Selena, my dear rebellious Spanish soul. She was so pretty when I first met her.. Lord, I don’t even remember when that was – seems it was centuries ago, when we were young and restless, as they say. She was a tremendous beauty, one of those who pass by and make all men look like bulldogs, swallowing saliva in the sight of tidbits. Back then I could not believe in my own luck – such a cutie pie, and fell for me. If only I knew, if only I knew what would my life be turned into by this little brown-eyed devil in a floral dress. The worst outcome of our marriage is my current parting from my daughter – Selena thinks I am too artificial and thoroughly imbued with hypocrisy – which is not a very good example for a teenager, as she puts it. Stupid bitch! She never understood the necessity of NOT being myself! How could I show everyone who I really was? Didn’t she understand that the total disclosure of my personality would do harm to all of us? She was just too naïve thinking that being a politician and being an honest man can be combined in one person…
I was pulled out of the depth of my memories by the voice of the taxi driver, who swore loudly and rang the reception bell for the tenth time. Finally, the sleepy clerk jumped out of a little door behind the counter and began to apologize hurriedly, trying not to pay attention to the perturbation of the taxi driver. I gave the driver 5 dollars, refused clerk’s help and took my suitcase myself. I felt that night will not be very peaceful.. why the hell should I have remembered all these things about my wife? Anyway, I knew I would have enough time to think about it..

No comments:

Post a Comment